I’m posting this because I could not find the solution to this problem anywhere online, and I hate having to call into customer support to get a step-by-step answer.
I purchased a Mac Mini for use in my home theatre around the same time that my Boxee (www.boxee.tv) beta invitation came in, so naturally, the first thing I did was install it. I never bothered to test Watch Instantly functionality in the browser before I tried it in Boxee. Upon attempting a Watch Instantly session in Boxee I was greeted with the famous ‘Individualization Failed/Error: 8152’ message. This error seems to be primarily affecting Hackintosh users, but a few of us with legitimate Apple hardware are getting it too.
It has to do with how Silverlight verifies your network interfaces. If your wired interface, regardless of whether you are using it to receive Watch Instantly traffic, is not interface ‘en0’, Silverlight fails to authenticate with the Netflix DRM server correctly.
- To verify which network interface is assigned ‘en0’ do a Spotlight search for and open: ‘Network Utility’. On the first page/tab (Info) you will see a drop down box with an entry for each of your network interfaces. The ‘en0’ interface should show drivers for a wired NIC. If you are having trouble identifying which interface is the wired NIC, check the ‘Vendor’ information. The Airport (which should be assigned to ‘en1’) has Apple listed as the vendor, the wired NIC in my Mac Mini has a chipset made by Marvell.
- To correct this issue you need to delete two .plist files, they are both located in ‘/Library/Preferences/’
- Delete: NetworkInterfaces.plist, and preferences.plist
- Reboot your machine. These two files will automatically be generated with their default (and correct) settings upon rebooting.
- Now try and log into Netflix Watch Instantly.
FWIW: I had to click to reconnect to my wireless network, this will deleted your preferred list, but it should not delete your login info from the Keychain.
Please let me know if you have anything to add, or if I have forgotten anything.